Monday, May 24, 2010

Out of Africa

I went down to Pinetop, AZ with a few friends this past weekend for a fun and relaxing weekend away. There are way too many pictures for one post, so I'll do it by days :)  

On our first day in AZ we drove to a Wildlife Park called Out of Africa, that I thought was pretty cool!!  Not only was I excited to go to a park where you can get up close and personal with the animals, that are all from Africa, but I was also meeting my friend Shanan there, who I haven't seen in WAY too long!

First thing to do..Go on a "safari" through some of the park.  Here are some of the animals that we got to see. 
Mr. Giraffe (don't remember his name) wanted nothing to do with us.  We all had carrots in our hands to feed to him, but he wasn't having it.
The Zebras were really fun to watch and were next to see on our little safari.  We weren't able to feed them and the picture above shows why.  They have some nasty teeth, which would end up in one nasty bite
I think white tigers are so pretty!! I wish I could have gotten a closer picture of him.

We got to feed the bottomless pit camel.  They had to put him in a fenced area because he seemed to get a little too wild for the rest of the animals.  The workers at the park put holes in the fence so we could still feed him though
Next thing we did at the park was the Tiger Splash show.  This was the show that I was most excited about for the day.  The tigers that they use for the show are not trained at all, they have just gotten comfortable around all of the employees. 
All of the girls except Brynn on the tram ride up to the show

Meet Boom Boom. We met him on our tram ride up the the Tiger Splash show.  Our tram driver loved and adored Boom Boom!! When Boom Boom  heard the tram drivers voice his ears would move and he acknowledged that we were there.

This show was pretty entertaining to watch.  The employees would hop in the water with the tigers, throw the toys to make the tigers jump for them and they even played tug-o-war..which they lost. :)

After the show we walked around to get a closer look at the other animals and to also watch the feeding of the animals. There were lions and tigers and bears, OH MY! :) There were also, cougars, laughing hyenas, snakes, ostriches, etc. 


If you ever are in or near Camp Verde, AZ this is a really fun place to go!! I'm so glad we made the drive and I'm also so glad that I got to see Shanan!!

After a picnic at the park and a 3 hour drive home, it was hot tub time!! How could you pass up such a nice big hot tub at the resort?

4 comments:

shanan said...

I'm glad you guys had such a great time on your trip! It was awesome seeing you! Driving out to Cali the first part of June will be very, very temping ...

Ashlee Garn said...

FUN! Holy knockerama! (I'll explain that later! LOL) This looks like it was such a fun trip! I'm super jealous of the hot tub/pool! Soon my friend, soon I can do that :)

Boons said...

Looks like you had a great time! You always have something fun going on!

Ba and Scott said...

Wow that Out of Africa place looks awesome! I would not be that close to a snake though. THey are evil!