Saturday, August 29, 2009

Cactus and Desert Totus Survey

I've been out on surveys for my company before, but I've never done a survey like the one I did in Virgin, Utah. They are going to be putting in a cell phone tower down there and we had to make sure there were no desert tortus' or a certain kind of cactus where they are going to put the tower. When I've gone out on surveys with the archaeologist I've basically walked straight lines on flat ground. This survey didn't know what flat ground was. I wish the picture below really gave the terrain more justice. I ended up getting in a nice workout!
For the survey we had to walk straight lines along the project area and then we had to do three circles around the project area. The big circle was 2.5 miles and then the other two got a little smaller the closer we were to the project site. Usually this would be no problem, but with walking up and down and at times climbing rock in 100 degree weather for 4 hours, I was exhausted by the end!
I've never been out with a biologist/botanist before, so this survey was a good learning experience for me! I also loved that Lynda, who I went out with, was more than willing to take the time to teach me more about the survey. She gave me the GPS and told me to follow the lines and she would survey behind me. We had to take a couple points (basically notes on a certain spot) and she taught me how to do that as well, so I was completely in charge of the GPS while she did everything else. I loved how much I was able to learn on this survey!

What I was walking during the survey. I thought it was bad, but Lynda said this is nothing compared to a lot of the surveys she has done.
Right after lunch, trying to cool off. I've never gone through 3 liters of water and 2 Gatorades so fast in my life!

1 comment:

Ba and Scott said...

What a cool learning experience. I love hand ons learning. Awesome!