The day of the triathlon comes along and my mom is so sick with phenomena that she can't do the race. I was so bummed and wondered how I was going to do this. I had the run down no problem. The bike I was STRESSED about! I haven't ridden a road bike in years, I've never gone for a ride to get used to clipping in and yes I was riding a road bike where I had to clip in, and the bike was 14 miles. The swim I wasn't too worried about either because it was only 175 yards and that's less than what I normally do for my warms ups. I could do each of those individually, but I was worried about putting all three events together.
| Right before the start of the race |
As I walk over to the starting line I see a few girls that I know and we decide that we're going to run together and take the run slow to make sure our legs were ok for the bike. About 2 minutes into running me and Katie, who ended up being my running buddy, lose the other two girls behind us and we take the run at our own pace. Come to find out after, I guess I went a little faster than Katie was planning on going and we actually did the 5k in a time that really surprised me!! I thought we were going really slow and we did under 10 minute miles. We had joked about doing 11 minute miles to make sure we didn't start off too fast, and I guess the adrenaline go the best of me and I just went with what felt comfortable.
| Just finishing our run and running over to the transition area |
| Changing shoes and getting ready for my bike ride |
The bike went so much better than I thought it would. I actually gained a love for riding that day! I really enjoyed the 14 miles of biking along the river trail and passing SO many people in the race. The bike took me about an hour to finish and towards the end of the ride I caught up to Mady, which I LOVED!! ;) I rode in just a minute before her and she hated it! She was not happy that I was catching up to her and passing her. I do have to admit though, she was on a mountain bike, so I'm sure that's why I was able to catch up to her since she was about 7 minutes ahead of me on the run.
I loved how short the swim was!! I felt like I was in and our in no time. As I was finishing I heard my dad yell "Mady's right behind you!" As soon as I heard that I got myself out of that pool and across the finish line as fast as I could. LOL! :) I knew me finishing a race before Mady would NEVER happen again so I booked it to the finish line. Mady was NOT happy at all that her big sister beat her!!
I had so much fun doing this triathlon!! I look forward to actually training and doing another one. My ward is putting one on in September, but its a few days before Napa Valley Ragnar so I'm probably not going to be able to do it. One of these days, I will for sure do another one though! I'm so glad my mom was able to convince me to do this race, even though I was very sceptical of doing it!!
2 comments:
Dude. You are awesome. Simply put.
Girl, you are amazing!
Post a Comment