Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Improving

I was having a conversation with a friend the other day and the topic of us dating came up. We got on this conversation because my Bishop's wife keeps bugging us both about dating each other. We were laughing because we both hear the same things from her a couple times a month. I hear all the time from her "you two should date" or "you two would have a lot of fun together" or "he's such a nice guy." I would agree with 2 out of 3 of those statements :) The one that I don't agree with is that me and this person should date. We are great friends, but there has never been any interest…from either of us. So as me and this person got on the conversation about dating he said something to me that hit me pretty hard. He said "I want to date/marry someone who makes me want to be a better person and we are just too much alike." I kind of looked at him not knowing what to say and he took my look as "I don't understand." He then proceeded to tell me again, but this time a little more bluntly. He said, yet again "I want to date/marry someone who makes me want to be a better person" and then he stopped, looked at me and said "and you don't do that." OUCH!!! I like when people are open and honest with me, but at this point I was wishing he was not open with me and had just kept his mouth shut or just kept it to the nicer version :) I went home that night wondering if I was a bad example or a bad person. Am I someone my parents would be proud of? Am I living the way I'm supposed to? Should I be doing things in my life differently? Where could I improve myself? As much as the end of the night kind of killed my mood and I started being really hard and down on myself I've been trying to use it as a motivator lately. I know there are things and places in my life where I can improve. There is always room for improvement...right?! :)

4 comments:

EvaMarieva said...

We can always improve but know that while you don't make this one guy want to be better there is someone out there that will be inspired by you-probably more than one. I say this because you have always inspiried me and are such an amazing person. Keep staying strong and working on yourself and something will happen. I am always reminded that my timeline and the lord's timeline can be a bit different and to have faith.

Wa said...

I don't care what he has to say...I think you are one FANTASTIC, AMAZING GIVING, person...and anyone would be lucky to have you...I felt a little defensive for you after reading you post...slightly protective!
PS...I know you make your parents proud!

Ba and Scott said...

Lindsay! I didn't know you had a blog until you commented on mine. Yeah! Blog buddies! I am now following you aka stocking you . . . ha ha. These are some big questions and no one knows the answer but you. However, I think that you are a fun, sexy and good person. You rock! Also, your pics are awesome!

shanan said...

ummm .... my opinion (simply put) ... he's not the one for you!

EvaMarieva is right that there can always be things to improve on - but do them because YOU want to improve. Not because somebody else is asking you to.

You are awesome. Don't forget that!