Thursday, March 11, 2010

Chinese Doctor

My roommate has been telling me for over a year to go see her doctor, who is a Chinese Doctor and acupuncturist. By the things she's told me about him I thought for sure he was a quack. I've been in so much pain lately, that I'm to the point where I will see just about anyone. Out of the last 6 doctors I've seen, 5 of them haven't been able to tell me anything. The last doctor I went to said he thought I had some bad bacteria in my intestines and to go on a high protein diet. I went on a diet and had no pain at all. As soon as I started adding carbs and other foods back into my diet, was when I started having problems again. Due to having no pain while I was on the diet I wondered if I had celiac disease, so I wanted to get tested or get another doctors opinion.
Because I was in so much pain, I finally broke down and went to see this Chinese doctor. I cannot even begin to explain how insane the whole experience was. We talked for a minute and then he asked to see my hands so he could take my pulse. As he was taking my pulse he asked if he could see my tongue. While he is doing this he tells me that I have inflamed intestines, bacteria in my stomach (which I'm assuming is the same thing as the last doctor said, even though he said it was in my intestines), a slight hormone imbalance, and he even asked if I had Mexican for lunch...which I did. SO CRAZY! This guy was calling everything, I couldn't believe it.
The doctor put me on this Chinese medicine that is NASTY!!! It’s a few powders mixed together that I have to mix with 2 tablespoons of water. When I took it last night, I spit out the first sip due to the nasty taste and also because I started laughing. The second sip I was determined to get down, which I did, but I gagged as I was doing it. I don't know how I'm going to take this medicine twice a day for two weeks. I go back and see the doctor again in two week for a follow up. If everything is working out and I'm feeling ok, I get more medicine. OH JOY!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a coincidence, I went through the exact same thing! I was looking for alternatives to western medicine when I found out I had fatty liver/high liver enzymes in my blood. We talked, he looked at my hands, looked at my tongue. He basically made the same diagnosis that I gave him from primary care physician. He did treatments with these suction cups, and gave my herbs to brew and drink at home. They were definitely helping, but tasted SO HORRIBLE, I didn't know how I was going to get them down! Unfortunately after a few weeks I had to stop going because it was SO EXPENSIVE, and not covered by my insurance, so I was paying out of pocket. When I can afford it, I'd like to go back again though. Good luck!

Ba and Scott said...

Pain is not fun. No matter how crazy if it works, who cares! Do it!

Ashlee Garn said...

DANGIT! You totally left out the best part of this whole story! Although he wouldn't be happy if it was posted here :) lol I hope this works! And you get better!

Lindsay said...

I did leave out the best part. I'm almost 100% sure he doesnt read this, but just in case I didn't post it. I don't know how'd he feel about me telling everyone how he dry heaved when I took the medicine...OOPS...now everyone knows LOL :) They just don't know who